November 16, 2007 during the 7th International Abilympics (IA2007), the International Symposium was held at the skills contest site (Twin-Messe Shizuoka) under the theme of:
Good Skills, Good Job
Realizing a Society for All
The symposium had 18 speakers from 9 countries/regions, with the participation of 250 people from 21 countries/regions.
In the Plenary Session held in the morning, speakers from International Labor Organization, McDonald's Corporation (USA) and Canon Inc. (Japan) gave keynote presentations. The parallel sessions were held in the afternoon under the three themes: "Enjoying My Working Life," "Supporting Disabled Workers" and "International Abilympics: a Valuable Step in My Career."
Ms. Debra Perry (ILO) made a speech on "A New Commitment: Skills Training for People with Disabilities." She reported the current employment and training status of persons with disabilities and introduced practical strategies. She also focused on a Society for All, which requires partnership among private firms, governments, NGOs, and persons with disabilities.
Employers from overseas and Japan talked about their initiatives and corporate social responsibility in regard to employment and human resources development for persons with disabilities.
Mr. Don Crosby (McDonald) spoke on the theme of "Sharing a Corporate View of Developing Programs for Employing and Deploying Disabled Workers." He focused on the pioneering efforts in the employment of persons with disabilities in the U.S., and the idea of diversity and "ability (not disability)."
On behalf of private firms in Japan, Mr. Kazuto Ono (Canon) presented a speech entitled "What is Human Resources Management Based on the Respect for Human Life and Dignity?" He spoke on the system of personal counseling and mental health facilities adopted by his company for employees. The outlines of each presentation are as follows;
Outlines of Keynote Presentations
- Ms. Debra Perry, "A New Commitment: Skills Training for People with Disabilities."
- Senior Specialist in Vocational Rehabilitation, International Labor Organization , a keynote speaker made a presentation from the international viewpoint on employment-related issues emphasizing on integrated working environment for the realization of a Society for All.
- Mr. Don Crosby, USA "Sharing a Corporate View of Developing Programs for Employing and Deploying Disabled Workers."
- Vice President of International Human Resources, McDonald's Corporation
- Mr. Kazuto Ono, Japan "What is Human Resources Management Based on the Respect for Human Life and Dignity?"
- Senior General Manager, Human Relations Center, Canon Inc.