List of Readings Vocational Rehabilitation
- 1 For people with developmental disabilities to be successful entry into the employment and adaptation ... History of research in National Institute of Vocational Rehabilitation ... (March 2012) (Japanese Link)
- This is an overview of a series of research that were conducted before 2011 by the department of research at our institute on developmental disabilities. It can be basic reference to learn about issues of support system for persons with developmental disabilities, of preparation for work, and of various consideration in accordance with each characteristic of disabilities.
- No.101 Basic Research on qualitative improvement of employment for persons with disabilities(April 2018)(Japanese Link)
- In Japan, for employment of persons with disabilities, such measures and endeavors have been implemented that lead (1) to increase the employment of persons with disabilities and (2) to make qualitative improvement for promoting employment of persons with disabilities by job retention, execution of ability, career development, etc. It is considered, however, that there are various viewpoints and measures of appraisal in finding the situation of qualitative improvement for employment of persons with disabilities. This Research finds such viewpoints and measures by organizing and classifying those and provides materials for planning measures for employment of persons with disabilities, promotion of research on vocational rehabilitation and employment of persons with disabilities by companies.
- No.100 Research on the occupational stress of persons with Developmental Disability who have working experience -Examination for the process of occurrence of maladjustment to workplace and for its background factors. –(April 2018)(Japanese Link)
- In recent years, cases of maladjustment to workplace or disorder of the mental health of adult persons with Development Disorder appear when they work usual working circumstances without special considerations. This Research has examined issues on diagnosis for persons with Developmental Disability, and also has examined their occupational stress by organizing literature and making hearing surveys. The Research has thus examined the framework for understanding persons with Developmental Disability.
- No.99 Field Study on the situation of reinstatement of persons with bipolar disorder and of its support(April 2018)(Japanese Link)
- For bipolar disorder, which is one of the disorders among Mental Disorder, technical developments for their reinstatement support have not been made so much up to now. This Field Study is expected to serve for such technical development from now on.
- No.98 Research on the present situation and possibilities of employment of persons with disabilities in the agricultural field(April 2017)(Japanese Link)
- In recent years, companies are beginning to employ persons with disabilities in the agricultural field, and it is expected that more persons with disabilities will be employed in this field. In this research, we interviewed companies that are making advanced efforts to employ persons with disabilities. We gathered information on how they started employing persons with disabilities and what were the necessary accommodations when considering the working conditions, environments and styles specific to agriculture. This report may be useful to the companies that consider entering into the agricultural field and the professionals supporting persons with disabilities.
- No.97 Basic research on understanding the actual situation of young people with mild-intellectual disabilities who need specialized employment support(April 2017)(Japanese Link)
- In this research, we investigated how the employment situations are, as well as what kind of issues there are for persons with mild-intellectual disabilities who graduated from general high schools by the questionnaire survey to the Public Employment Security Office and Local Vocational Rehabilitation Centers for Persons with Disabilities. It is expected to be utilized to understand the present situation of persons with mild-intellectual disabilities who use the support at schools, general counters of the Public Employment Security Office and support institutions for young people.
- No.96 Research on effective information exchange between employment support institutions and psychiatric medical institutions(April 2017)(Japanese Link)
- Manual for information exchange/information sharing between employment support and psychiatric medical care was created based on this research, and in this material series, the creation process is shown. Researchers who clarify skills required in practice will be able to find the specific cases in this material series. Also, as various information exchange viewpoints and methods which were not included in the manual are included in the endnote material, this can be used as a reference document for practitioners who want to learn more.
- No.95 Related data/materials on Community Supports in Health Care, Welfare and Educational Fields to Promote Work Readiness and Transition of Persons with Disabilities(April 2017)(Japanese Link)
- This material is recommended to be referred to as data/documents associated with Research Report No.134 as needed. The following results were published:(i) Simple totaling results of "Research on the present situation and issues of related institutions and professionals to respond to the expansion of employment support needs of persons with disabilities" which was conducted in 2015, (ii) Research result on advice and support for related institutions to Local Vocational Rehabilitation Centers for Persons with Disabilities, (iii) Reorganization of the analysis results of the employment support needs before and after employment and ways of effective support sorted by types of disabilities based on the previous investigation of persons with disabilities.
- No.94 Research on the understanding of the current status of the local employment support II -Understanding the current status of the Employment and Life Support Centers for Persons with Disabilities and analysis-(April 2016)(Japanese Link)
- The survey research and opinion interview research, focusing on the current tasks of the Employment and Life Support Centers for Persons with Disabilities within the local employment support network, were undertaken and the results were analyzed. The anticipated use of this research is to be used as material and hints when assessing the existence of the concerned center and the local employment support networks.
- No.93 The report to support home-based work for persons with disabilities(April 2016)(Japanese Link)
- This research was created as additional reports for the Research Reports No. 131, “Research on the Current Status of Home-based work Support for Persons with Disabilities and their Tasks.” In this research, the results were descripted from the opinion interviews undertaken mainly with the organizations supporting home-based work for persons with disabilities working support using ICT, etc.
This research may be useful as a reference for the corporations which are willing to offer jobs to the organizations supporting home-based work for persons with disabilities, the administration, corporations advancing the home-based employment of persons with disabilities and individuals willing to do home-based work, etc.
- No.92 Research on the method utilizing the human resources development program utilizing the SST -Job communication up skill seminar (utilization version)-(April 2016)(Japanese Link)
- Concerning the diffusion of the human resources development program (job communication up skill seminar) for the corporations employing persons with disabilities, developed by the National Institute of Vocational Rehabilitation, from the research in the past the indication was identified that it is important to undertake the program corresponding to the corporations’ needs and corresponding to their actual situations. In this research the operation method, etc., was reviewed based on these, therefore the anticipated use of this research is to be used as a reference at the time of utilizing the program.
- No.91 Basic research on intervention behavior concerning “the support for self-understanding” for persons with mental disabilities(April 2016)(Japanese Link)
- Concerning “the support for self-understanding,” for persons with mental disabilities, even though the necessity and importance of it are pointed out in the practical scene of the vocational rehabilitation, it is hard to say that the detailed intervention guide and content are systematically organized. The anticipated use of this research is to be used in the practical scene of the vocational rehabilitation as the basic documents in order to smoothly operate “the support for self-understanding.”
- No.90 Research on the tendency of leave and return to work support for youths who have mood disorders due to non-melancholic type depression(April 2016)(Japanese Link)
- It is considered that there are an increased number of young generations who are taking sick leave because of their mood disorders due to non-melancholic type depression. In this research concerning the tendency of sick leave and return to work support for these youths, the results were collated from the literature research as well as opinion interviews undertaken with specialists and corporations in regards to their approach towards return to work support. The anticipated use of this research is to be used by the support institutions that are planning to develop return to work support programs for youths who are diagnosed with depression as well as by the corporations that are engaged in employment continuation and return to work support.
- No.89 Research on Current Status of Employment Support in Local Areas - With a Focus on Activities of Employment and Life Support Centers for Persons with Disabilities - (April 2015) (Japanese Link)
- This research tries to explore and prove "factors having an impact on the outcome of the activities conducted by Employment and Life Support centers for Persons with disabilities" as much as possible, based on the statistical analysis of a wide range of numerical indicators regarding the outcome and business results of Employment and Life Support centers for Persons with disabilities, user registration status and status of characteristics and activity areas (subject areas) of these centers. This can be regarded as the research empirically exploring "what the conditions to make the strategies more effective are" and "which aspects we should focus on in terms of implementation in order to get more effective results" under the situation where it is essential to promote the strategies by improving cost-effectiveness.
- No.88 Information on Consideration and Support in a Workplace with a Focus on Persons with Developmental Disability (April 2015) (Japanese Link)
- This material is recommended to be used by companies as a reference for practical means and consideration aiming to accepting persons with Developmental Disability and promoting settling into the workplace (e.g. contents of jobs and positions, way of working, relationships and communication in a workplace).
- No.87 Research on Standard Practical Methods of Supporting Employers regarding Employment of Persons with Disabilities (April 2015) (Japanese Link)
- Under the situation where employment of persons with disabilities is approaching a turning point, while the needs for supporting employers is more and more increasing, the practical methods for it is not updated and conventional methods are still used. This research summarizes the results of the interview surveys on what is an appropriate way to implement standard practical methods of supporting employers in the future, involving experts having a forward-looking vision of support for employers regarding employment of persons with disabilities, and support organizations providing pioneering support for employers. Moreover, it provides the results of the questionnaire survey on the needs for supporting employers involving corporations. This material is mainly expected to be used in related support organizations trying to expand support for employers and in the companies dealing with employment of persons with disabilities.
- No.86 Research on the Situation of Employment and Settling into the workplace regarding Applicants who Have Mental Disability and Receive Support from Vocational Rehabilitation Centers for Persons with Disabilities - Research II on Current Status of Applicants with Mental Disability - (April 2015) (Japanese Link)
- Support staff at vocational rehabilitation organizations such as wide and local vocational rehabilitation centers for persons with disabilities can use this material as a reference for checking points of concern in terms of supporting employment and settling into the workplace of persons with Mental Disability.
- No.85 Research on the Strategies to Reduce Fatigue of Employees with disabilities hard to be identified such as Mental Disability (April 2015) (Japanese Link)
- This research summarizes the strategies of support or employees and their families in terms of reducing their fatigue caused by "invisibility" (hard to be understood by other people) of disabilities employees have, such as Mental Disability and Developmental Disability, from a viewpoint of providing reasonable consideration and supporting recovery of employees with disabilities, considering the results of research on family and case examples of providing consideration. Moreover, "Employment Support for Recovery - A Manual for Employment Supporters -" is produced along with this research. This manual is highly recommended as summarizes information on disorders regarding a balanced diet which is important in vocational life and strategies to reduce fatigue based on the purpose of preventing it.
- No.84 Research on Measures and Problem of Vocational Life of Persons with Developmental Disability - For Use of "Reference Book of Employment Support for Persons with Developmental Disability" - (April 2015) (Japanese Link)
- This research focuses on the problems of vocational lives of persons with Developmental Disability in terms of employment support, and summarizes the methods of support that supporters can use against each problem. With regard to "Reference Book of Employment Support for Persons with Developmental Disability" produced along with this research, it presents methods of support that are actually used against problems in vocational life. Therefore, we would like to recommend those involved with employment support for persons with Developmental Disability at local career support organizations to use this book as a reference regarding support.
- No.83 Research to Discuss the Possibilities of the Employment of Persons with Disabilities by Cooperation with Companies and Non-profit Organizations -Understanding actual situation nationwide and study of the possibilities-(April 2014)(Japanese Link)
- In order to investigate the development of opportunity to work and employment of persons with disabilities in partnership with NPOs including social welfare corporations, and private companies that support employment of persons with disabilities, we surveyed the present status of the organizations and their employment support and needs/requirements for the effort by partnership. We expect this survey to be utilized in the organizations considering developing opportunity to work for the persons with disabilities, private companies necessary to accomplish the Employment of Persons with Disabilities and employment rate, and municipalities thinking of developing opportunity to work for the disabilities in the community.
- No.82 Basic Research on Specialty of Human Resource for Vocational Rehabilitation(April 2014)(Japanese Link)
- We expect this material to be used to provide basic information when considering improvement of the specialty of the human resources supporting vocational rehabilitation in future.
- No.81 Survey and Research on Cooperation to Increase the Accuracy in Judgment of the Employment Difficulties(April 2014)(Japanese Link)
- The accuracy in judgment of employment difficulty degree is important in the employment support to the persons who have "invisible disabilities" such as Mental Disability, Developmental Disability or Higher Brain Dysfunction. In order to understand the limitation of the long-term working life, share the understanding among those involved, and utilize them to lead to stable working life of the persons with disabilities, what kind of employment difficulties are necessary to judge and how cooperation is to be made are questioned. This research summarized the results from the hearing survey on the attempts that advanced support institutions and Local vocational rehabilitation centers for persons with disabilities are making. We expect the support institutions and companies that are not accustomed in supporting employment of persons with Mental Disability, Developmental Disability and Higher Brain Dysfunction to utilize this material.
- No.80 Research on the Implementation Needs for the Support Offered by Job Coaches and the Roles Inquired by Related Institutions(April 2014)(Japanese Link)
- Based on the survey of the Job Coach Support System for the related institutions/facilities, we grasped the effectiveness of the system and degree of satisfaction on result of the support, issues on the job coach skill, changes on the support needs, eligible persons, and summarized opinions and inquiries on the system. We expect this material to be utilized as: (1) basic materials that contribute to the development of strategy and systemic revision by personnel of administrative bodies, (2) materials that contribute to the improvement of support quality by personnel of the vocational rehabilitation institutions such as job coaches, and (3) materials that contribute to the utilization of Job Coach Support System by personnel involved in rehabilitation at medical and welfare institutions.
- No.79 Survey and Research on Actual Situation of Work Support for the Intractable Disease Patients at Health and Medical institutions(April 2014)(Japanese Link)
- Considering the characteristics of intractable diseases, which have both disease and disability issues, this material, clarifies more direct and close cooperation method of medical treatment and labor for intractable diseases patients to be employed and to continue working. This is achieved by surveying current situation of the health and medical institutions related to the intractable diseases in our country and discussing the results with experts. We expect this material to be utilized for the establishment of initiative aiming for the formation of common recognition of the issues in both the local employment support organizations and the medical institutions supporting the working life and disease control and for the future comprehensive medical treatment and employment support.
- No.78 Status of Accommodation and Support Related to Employment of Persons with Disabilities at Companies(April 2014)(Japanese Link)
- We Clarify actual situation of various accommodation and support provided by employers in Japan through questionnaire surveys, and then introduce how "Reasonable accommodation" are operated in Germany and France where they have Employment Obligation System. Also include the following at the end: statistical data table, free descriptive answers of questionnaires, Act for Elimination of Disability Discrimination, Revised Act for Promotion of Employment of Persons with Disabilities, etc.
- No.77 Survey and Research on the Actual Situations of Local Work Support for Persons with Disabilities - Focused on Prefectural Indices - (April 2013) (Japanese Link)
- Statistical data related to work support for persons with disabilities were collected from each prefecture and a document indicating the actual status of the support provided in each area was prepared. Specific situations of coordination within work support for persons with disabilities were ascertained by collecting detailed statistical data and conducting hearing surveys in five prefectures (Nagano, Fukuoka, Tokyo, Okayama, Iwate) with achievements in certain aspects that can be of reference to other prefectures. This document is expected to be utilized as statistical data and as a reference to specific work support networks.
- No.76 Survey and Research Related to the Impremantation of Job Accommodations for Persons with Mental or Developmental Disabilities (March 2013) (Japanese Link)
- This research conducted the survey to investigate the need of employers for support for implementing job accommodations for their employees due to the following current situations. There has been an increase of employment of persons with disabilities. On the other hand, a number of employees who are on a leave of absence or unemployed due to mental health problems are also increasing. Under these circumstances, the employers are expected to implement job accommodations that are carefully tailored for an each disabled employee's need. This document introduces the following findings based on the survey results.
An actual case of job accommodation implemented by the employers for employees with mental or developmental disabilities including coexisting disabilities. The resulting effect of these job accommodations. It also summarizes the support for the employers provided by the vocational rehabilitation specialists for an implementation of an each job accommodation.
- No.75 Research Related to Employment Support of the Disabled Who Do Not Possess Disability Certificates (March 2013) (Japanese Link)
- This research surveyed the actual conditions of employment in workplaces and support provided at support institutions for persons with developmental disabilities, intractable diseases or higher brain dysfunction, who do not possess Disability Certificates since they do not fall under the category of physically/intellectually/mentally disabled persons stipulated in the Law for Employment Promotion of Persons with Disabilities. This shall serve as a basic material to examine and recognize the actual conditions of employment and support given to disabled persons who do not posses Disability Certificates.
- No.74 Survey and Research Related to Current Status and Issues of the Support System Offered by Job Coaches (March 2013) (Japanese Link)
- Current status and issues of the support system offered by job coaches are manifested and is expected to be used as; (1) a basic document that contributes to developing strategies and systemic revision by personnel of administrative bodies; (2) a document that contributes to the improvement of support quality by personnel at the vocational rehabilitation institution such as job coaches; and (3) a document that contributes to the utilization of the support system offered by job coaches by rehabilitation personnel at medical and welfare institutions.
- No.73 Legislation and Measures for Anti-Discrimination on Employment of Persons with Disabilities in Western Countries (March 2013) (Japanese Link)
- Part 1: USA/UK
Part 2: Germany/France/EU
This material contains lists of important precedents related to the discrimination on employment of persons with disabilities and reasonable accommodation etc. selected by up-and-coming young researchers majoring in labor laws of each western country, and also each country's principal acts and regulations related such as the Americans with Disabilities Act of the USA, the Equality Act of the UK, the Social Code Book IX of Germany, the Labor Code of France, as well as related guidance, manuals for benefits etc. selected and translated by the researchers of National Institute of Vocational Rehabilitation(NIVR). This is expected to be utilized not only by related government authorities but by a wide range of people such as researchers and personnel providing welfare service to persons with disabilities.
- No.72 Basic survey for the revision of Makuhari Work Sample (MWS) in response to the diversification of disabilities (March 2013) (Japanese Link)
- This research clarifies the actual status of the usage of MWS which has become utilized by various institutions and persons with all types of disabilities, as well as the corresponding demand for revision. This document also serves as a reference for the utilization of the existing MWS and as a basis for future revisions.
- No.71 Research on current status of work support for persons with mental disabilities at medical institutions in Japan (April 2012) (Japanese Link)
- Effective work support models for persons with mental disabilities was determined by reviews of studies overseas and in Japan, and also based on a national survey of psychiatric institutions for their medical, life and work supports. The findings should provide clues to tackle challenges mixed of medical, life, and work domains for medical professionals who provide work supports in hospitals/clinics or work support professionals who collaborate with medical professionals.
- No.70 Research on current status of job seekers with mental disabilities (April 2012) (Japanese Link)
- It analyzes status of persons with mental disabilities 3 years after the job-seeking registration at Hello Work. It should be useful to gain an outline of current status of job seekers with mental disabilities who registered at Hello Work (e.g. the frequency of counseling for getting a job, the frequency of job placement, the employment rate).
- No.69 Research on collaboration work to support transition from education to employment (April 2012) (Japanese Link)
- This report describes and analyzes overview of career guidance at school, system and action to career support, and collaboration works between education organizations and employment supporting authorities. It should be useful to personnel who provide career support for persons and children with disabilities in order to learn about education, employment and career support and to achieve smooth collaboration work.
- No.68 Research on practicability of employment of persons with disabilities in collaboration with companies and NPOs (March 2012) (Japanese Link)
- Research was conducted on cases of partnership between private companies, NPOs including social welfare corporations, and municipalities in order to support employment of persons with disabilities. This report may be useful to private companies which are individually hiring persons with disabilities and NPOs which are providing support for employment. Cases with action taken in partnership instead of individual can be helpful to explore new possibilities and ideas.
- No.67 Research on certification of disability focusing on difficulty at work (March 2012) (Japanese Link)
- 1. Basic information for administrative offices to make policies
2. Basic information for companies to examine the policy on employment of persons with disabilities oversea
3. Basic information for employment specialists to provide work support
- No.66 Research on diversification of mental disabilities at work and methods for supporting employers (March 2012) (Japanese Link)
- This report examines the recent issues related to the diversification of mental disabilities and the occurrence of comorbidity among young workers and workers who are in prime of life. The results indicated that there have been various changes in challenges that employers face at hiring and re-hiring persons with disabilities and also in types of supports that are required by employers due to the diversification and comorbidity. The report should be useful to a person who provides vocational rehabilitation service to employers in accordance with these changes at work.
- No.65 Usage situation and improvement of assistive technology for employment of persons with low vision (March 2012) (Japanese Link)
- 1. Learning current usage rate of devises that help employment of persons with low vision
2. Learning requests of improvement and development on devises and software
3. Finding clues to solve eye and body fatigue
4. Learning job types of persons with low vision focusing office work
5. Learning history of CCTVs and magnification software in Japan
- No.64 Research on job search of middle-aged and senior persons with disabilities (March 2012) (Japanese Link)
- Middle-aged and senior job seekers with disabilities face problems and there are supports that are available to them. Interviews and questionnaire surveys were conducted with support specialists on this subject. Case studies were made on the accommodations and problem-solving methods, and notes to keep in mind when providing support are suggested in this report. This report will be a useful reference for job seekers, employers that are anxious about hiring them, employment support specialists and job-placement personnel.
- No.63 Research on employment promotion and employment continuation support for persons with mood disorder (March 2012) (Japanese Link)
- It compares current support status at local vocational centers for persons with disabilities and supporting organizations for persons who retired by mood disorder and for who wish to return to work. It can be used for basic references for supporting organizations.
- No.62 Research survey on troubles and countermeasures at work accompanied by aging in middle-aged and senior employees with disabilities ? Consideration and arrangement in special subsidiaries (mostly 20 years or older) - (March 2011)(Japanese Link)
- (1) To use as basic data for measures concerning promotion and continuation of employment for middle-aged and senior persons with disabilities
(2) To provide examples of consideration and arrangement with business establishments which are interested in vocational problems associated with aging in employees with disabilities and business establishments which feel anxiety in hiring and continuous employment of middle-aged and senior employees with disabilities
(3) To provide examples of available efforts which delay occurrence of problems at work associated with aging with middle-aged and senior employees with disabilities and with job assistants who are involved/ interested in these problems
- No.61 The upgrade of "Let's Try Data Entry"(March 2011)(Japanese Link)
- It overviews the upgrade of training software for persons with intellectual disabilities, "Let's Try Data Entry." It explains the characteristics of the software and its newly added functions. It also includes a simple manual of the software and some examples of its utilization by vocational training facilities.
- No.60 Research on "Disability Management" focusing on realization of Decent Work for All(March 2011)(Japanese Link)
- This report describes the theory and methods of "disability management" that enables the job assistants and employers to provide support for the persons with disabilities to return to work or to find a job without being isolated from their occupation while they recuperate from disorders or diseases. The report explains disability management from the aspect of the needs of persons with disabilities as well as employers, adjustments of working environment, and liability. It also highlights that disability management aims to offer such prompt interventions for persons with any disabilities including mental-health-related disorders.
- No.59 Research on support method to promote self-understanding in persons with cognitive disorders(March 2011)(Japanese Link)
- It has been recognized that cognitive disorders are associated not only with higher brain dysfunctions but also with developmental disabilities and mental disorders. A survey was conducted among vocational counselors on present situation, difficulties and know-how on job support for those who are with cognitive disorders. The report summarizes the result of that survey and shows material developed to be able to use on supporting processes for trial.
- No.58 Current Situation on Legislation and Measures for Employment of Persons with Disabilities in Western Countries(March 2011)(Japanese Link)
- The study focuses on Germany and France which have adopted the employment quota system, as well as the U.S.A. and the U.K. which have adopted anti-discriminatory legislation. In this report, the legislation for employment of persons with disabilities, anti-discriminatory legislation, employment quota system, sheltered employment, vocational rehabilitation, and statistics on disability in those countries were tabulated and added in detailed explanation by experts of the labor law and welfare for persons with disabilities in such countries. This report is a completely renewed version of the Material Series No. 41 "Current Situation and Prospects of Employment Policies for Persons with Disabilities in Foreign Countries."
- No.57 Research on commuting and work environment of persons with disabilities (March 2011)(Japanese Link)
- Diversity management, which creates an environment where not only disabilities, but also diversity that exists in individuals and groups are accepted and are able to maximize the ability, will promote realization of decent work and work-life balance, and generate great benefit in the work place. This research will collect and organize numerous cases that address reduction and solution of various problems that workers face. The NIVR expects that these findings will contribute to improvement in the work environment for many people.
- No.56 Research on the issues concerning employment support for persons with disabilities and employers through vocational rehabilitation agencies(April 2010)(Japanese Link)
- We carried out an interview to examine the actual situation of the operation, employment support, community partnerships, and personnel training of employment support or vocational rehabilitation agencies such as Employment and Life Support Center for Persons with Disabilities, Business of Work Transition Support agencies eligible for, Job Coach Grant. We hope that the efforts of these employment support agencies will be a useful model for supporting individuals with disabilities to work in the community and developing community partnerships.
- No.55 Increase of Data Entry Works by Persons with Intellectual Disability(March 2010)(Japanese Link)
- The number of persons with intellectual disability who are engaged in office works using PC such as data input is increasing. This material consists of reports from observations on workplaces where above types of works can be found. More than 30 reports have been collected from 17 establishments. The details of works described in reports are diverse, and expected to be suggestive for establishments considering employment and job creation of those persons.
- No.54 The research and study on the working life cycle of people with disabilities:The first survey on the working life of middle and aged people with disabilities (2009)(March 2010)(Japanese Link)
- We have been conducting a panel survey (a longitudinal study of the same group of people over time) to clarify the whole image of a working life cycle of people with disabilities including a job placement, job retention, and maintaining and improving a working life. The purpose of our research is gathering the basic resources to develop plans and measures for improving an employment management in business and facilitating employment. In the survey on the late stages of working life, we examined how people with disabilities who have a work experience maintain and improve their working life. This report shows the findings of the first survey.
- No.53 The current status and issues on "return-to-work support" for workers on sick leave, mainly from depression (through Literature Reviews)(March 2010)(Japanese Link)
- Mental health problems in the workplace, consequent sick leave, and then returning to work have been increasing and are of immediate concern today. This study aims to clarify the current status and issues on "return-to-work support" for workers on sick leave mainly from depression. This study consists of research done by three Literature Reviews. The 1st chapter historically reviews the awareness of issues on return-to-work over the past 60 years. The 2nd chapter focuses on recent efforts made by employers in dealing with mental health issues. The 3rd chapter summarizes the essentials of the program and issues of "return-to-work support" provided by medical institutions and mental health welfare centers. The Appendix introduces current topics related to depression.
- No.52 A study on the recognition of the persons with mental disabilities from the view point of employment policies(March 2010)(Japanese Link)
- Ascertains and analyzes the judgment results of the Identification Booklet for Persons with Mental Disabilities and the opinions about the legal obligation to employ persons with mental disabilities for vocational rehabilitation organizations. Discusses about the perspective point of the range to employ persons with mental disabilities in the legal obligation and the judgment of severe mental disabilities.
- No.51 Study on the Permission on Reduction of Minimum Wage and the Assessment of Capacity for Work of Persons with Disabilities(March 2010)(Japanese Link)
- The minimum wage is determined according to region and industry in Minimum Wages Law, and the employer shall pay wages equal to or greater than the minimum wage amount to workers. However, in the cases of the workers having an extremely small capacity for work due to a mental or physical disability, the employers are granted special permission on reduction of the minimum wage.
This study overviews the wages at comparatively low level of workers with intellectual disabilities, comprehends the actual conditions of the reduction of minimum wage for these workers through field surveys on private companies, special subsidiaries and welfare service business for persons with disabilities which conduct laundry, linen supply or bakery and confectionery products, and reports the assessment of capacity for work and the correlation between reduction rate and capacity for work etc.
- No.50 The research and study on the working life cycle of people with disabilities: The first survey on the working life of young people with disabilities (2008) (January 2010)(Japanese Link)
- We have been conducting a panel survey (a longitudinal study of the same group of people over time) to clarify the whole image of a working life cycle of people with disabilities including a job placement, job retention, and maintaining and improving a working life. The purpose of our research is gathering the basic resources to develop plans and measures for improving an employment management of people with disabilities in business and facilitating employment. In the survey on the early stages of working life, we examined how young people with disabilities find a job and settle into working life. This report shows the findings of the first survey.
- No.49 Disability Determination System of Western Countries (April 2009) (Japanese Link)
- A disability determination system, or a definition of disability, often attracts interest in a discussion of promotion of employment for persons with disabilities. In fact, the results of current research conducted abroad, such as studies on ICF, may significantly affect disability determination. Domestically also the requests for a revision of the definition of disability, or the disability determination system, has been increasing.
Under these circumstances the research conducted in 2008 entitled "Disability Determination System according to the Necessity of Work of Persons with Disabilities" investigated the current situations and prospects in the disability determination system and the definition of disability in 4 major countries in Europe and the United States.
This report compiles the results of this investigation and consists of the overview and the chapters about the disability determination system and the definition of disability in France, Germany, the United States (US), the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom (UK).
- No.48 Job-hunting Support for Students with Disabilities or Disorders in Tertiary Education(April 2009) (Japanese Link)
- Job-hunting support services for students with disabilities or disorders in tertiary education were surveyed by the mail-in questionnaires and interviews. Those who were surveyed included persons in charge of career services of Universities, Junior colleges, and Technical colleges.
The result of the survey showed that tertiary educational institutions promote autonomous student-driven job hunting and/or job development. Currently in Japan, vocational rehabilitation services give employment assistances; including proposals of job descriptions or positions for persons with disabilities, accommodating relationships with co-workers in each job site, etc. The survey indicated that these services are also needed as career support for students with developmental or psychiatric disorders.
Therefore, one of the solutions is that tertiary educational institutions collaborate with vocational rehabilitation agencies on job-hunting support.
- No.47 A research on employment promotion by improvement of accessibility for the people with severe physical disabilities. (April 2009) (Japanese Link)
- This report, which consists of results of questionnaire survey and interviews, focuses on employment promotion through improvement of accessibility.
From the answers to the questionnaires, strong anxiety in commuting by public transportation is observed among wheel chair users. From the result of the interviews, on the other hand, it is found that they are trying to cope with those difficulties with their own ideas and efforts such as commuting in early morning to avoid congested traffic, selecting more favorable route to minimize transfers, settling their home to reduce the distance to their workplace, working at home and so on. These finding shows possibilities for farther promotion of their employment opportunities through improvement of accessibilities.
- No.46 Study for know-how improvement in the public employment security office which corresponds to the feature of the obstacle. (March 2009) (Japanese Link)
- The public employment security office has to arrange employment supports more deliberately and politely with collaborating with related organizations. This report contains the know-how of the public employment security office about "effective support" and "collaboration with related organizations".
- No.45 Towards Development of Employment Opportunity in Agriculture (March 2009) (Japanese Link)
- This volume was compiled through the joint research with National Institute for Rural Engineering on development of employment opportunity in agriculture, where more potential is expected in employment of persons with disabilities. After reviewing the characteristics of agriculture, considerations are made on several points worth attentions to enlarge employment opportunities of persons with disabilities.
- No.44 Research on current situation of work support for people with developmental disorders in the United States etc. (March 2009) (Japanese Link)
- People with developmental disorder should be supported by diversified work support according for their characteristics. At present, however, the meathod of work support hasn't established in Japan for ADHD (attention-deficit / hyperactivity disorder).
This study aims to gather information about work support for ADHD from mainly the United States that is in advance of work support in the world by literature research and interview with the expert.
Some useful articles for work support of CHADD and ADDA, non-profit organization for ADHD in the United States, released in their website. The outlines of another valuable document about work support for ADHD are briefly introduced.
- No.43 Study on Disability Degree Assessment from the Viewpoint of Vocational Difficulties (December 2008)(Japanese Link)
- Conceptual framework on disability degree assessment from the viewpoint of vocational difficulties was compiled as "Challenges for Persons with Disabilities Observed from a Viewpoint of Vocational Difficulty" in 1994. Since the publication of that report, environments of countermeasures for employment of people with disabilities have been changed significantly due to diversification of way of working, progress of rehabilitation and other support technologies.
In this report, Change and progress of conceptual framework of degree of disabilities from the viewpoint of vocational difficulties were studied since the last publication by reviewing researches on employment promotion, statistical outcomes, and current practice.
- No.42 Measures by Foreign Countries towards the Ratification of "Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities" (November 2008)(Japanese Link)
- This document, compiled as the output of the "Research Survey on the Situation towards the Ratification of Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities", consists of three parts.
Part 1, after reviewing the drafting process and the outline of the Convention, describes the action towards ratification of the Convention taken by foreign countries, international organizations and organizations for persons with disabilities.
Part 2 is for analysis on present situation of employment policies for persons with disabilities in foreign countries, such as anti-discriminatory legislation and quota system.
In part 3, the text of the Convention and the Optional Protocol are provided together with a few laws and regulations related to Part 2.
- No.41 Current Situation and Prospects of Employment Policies for Persons with Disabilities in Foreign Countries (April 2008)(Japanese Link)
- This report describes the current situation and prospects of employment policies for persons with disabilities in 5 major countries of Europe and the United States, which is one of fruits from the research entitled as "Trends of employment promotion measures under the anti-discriminatory legislations" conducted in 2004 through 2006.
Part I of the report describes the situation and prospects of employment policies in Germany, France, the United States (US), United Kingdom (UK) and Sweden respectively. Germany and France have conducted employment quota system, while the US and UK. have developed various employment policies under the anti-discriminatory legislations. Sweden has developed its sheltered employment system as well as the function of ombudsman system under the anti-discriminatory legislation.
Part II of this report provides the information on the legislation related the employment of persons with disabilities in Germany and France, where related laws and acts have been extensively amended. The updated information is as of the end of 2007.
This report is the updated version of the material series No.24 "Employment Policies for Persons with Disabilities in Foreign Countries".